Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Shade Tree Wisdom 4/7/10

Wonderful, a slight breeze, half moon still hanging in the western sky, and the mind rested easily and thoughts flowed, soon interrupted by the arrival of the yellow transportation facility that whisked the eagerly waiting [?] scholars away.

I was thinking of my walk, always turning the same way so this morning I turned the other way and found things I had never noticed before. And the thought struck me that we prize the familiar, and resist change. Like someone said, “I know this mess”.

Do you drive the same route to work each day? Or run errands in the same order? See?
Even when we know this is right, we break out in a rash. Starting College is like that. The “what in the world am I doing syndrome” strikes us. Churches suffer from that. New faces perhaps, a new director of something, different liturgy, added hymns, and we long to “return to the flesh pots of Egypt".

That phrase is not new, it comes from the ancient story of Israel’s departure from Egypt. The Lord led them. Not by the shortest way which might have led to war with the philistines (Ex 13,17), but by way of the Red Sea. Then God allowed pharaoh with all his chariots and army to drive after them. And when they saw that, they were terrified. Listen to them. “Were there no graves in Egypt that you have taken us to die in the wilderness?” Ex. 14,11. But their fears were unfounded. Moses said, “The Lord shall fight for you, and you shall hold your peace”, Ex. 14,14.

That’s what happens when we trust God. He said, “Fear not, for I am with thee, be not dismayed, for I am thy God; I will strengthen thee, yea, I will help thee, yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my majesty”. Is,. 41,10. Or the famous “Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me”. Is,. 49,16. And the Bible is filled with such assurances. They are promises we can claim, cling to, and look at when change and upheaval comes into our lives.

Two examples. One is the time when the three Israel youths were condemned to the fiery furnace of the king. One phrase in their speech says it all. “But if not”. They said, the Lord will look after us, “but if not, still we will not bow down at your command to worship you, O king."

The other is Peter walking on water. Matthew 14 has the incident. As long as Peter kept his eyes on Jesus he walked on water. When he eyed the tossing waves, he started to sink and cried, “Lord, save me”.

When change comes into our lives, listen to His Word first, pray to God for help, direction, strength and comfort, and welcome the change He brings to you to your blessing.

GPD 4/7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment