Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 8/24/11


          An earthquake in Virginia that is felt all along the East coast and causes the West coast to snicker at the reaction to this “little tremor”. What’s next? It is a reminder that we are not in charge at all.

          Indeed. Some think we are living in “last day” times because the Church and believers are under attack, both directly and slyly, indirectly. This goes back to God’s warning to Cain (Genesis 4,7). God warned, “sin is crouching at your door”.

          The truth is that the devil is always active, so our Lord has armed us for this continuing battle. Ephesians chapter 6 details our weapons, verses 10 to 20 describes our armor. One weapon is “The sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.”

          The devil is hard at work “to steal, kill, and destroy,” but Jesus promises that the disciples will “overcome the enemy, nothing will harm you” Luke 10,19. And “In the world you will have tribulation, but take heart, I have overcome the world." John 16,33.

          So where is the greatest danger? In the sneaky attack, the unexpected road, the seemingly innocent way. Satan is the one who shows us “the way that seemeth right unto man, but the ends thereof are death.” Prov. 14,12; 16,25.

          For an example, our Lord promises to forgive our sins and “remember them no more” (Jer.31,34b) Ps. 51, 1.2 tells us, “Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your unfailing love; according to Your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from sin.” Micah 7,19 says our sins are “drowned in the depth of the sea.” Is there anything clearer and plainer than that?

          But when our sins are forgiven, we often get the feeling of “why did I do that? What made me speak to my friend that way? I can never make it right.” Such thoughts trouble us. What they are, of course, are the “flaming darts of the evil one”.(Eph. 6,16), for which the Lord provides us with “the shield of faith”. In short, believe the promises of God with all your heart.

          For if you do not, you’ll be thinking, ‘I’d better forgive myself or I won’t have any peace’. But listen to yourself. What the Lord hears is you saying, “It’s too good to be true, my sins can’t be gone that easily.” And often you’re not even aware of expressed doubt. That’s how the devil tricks you.

          That’s how he works. Remember, he is never up to good, for he is a liar and murderer from the beginning.

          Believe the promise of God, "I have overcome the world” is the word for us to cling to.

GPD 8/24/11

No comments:

Post a Comment