Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/24/12


          Here, on this 24th day of July, I look out of my window and see the clouds slowly drifting by, the trees gently swaying in a slight breeze, and I say, “Isn’t this a peaceful scene?”

          Then I start the internet, and I pick up my morning paper, and am reminded of the world we are living in. It is not all serene

          There are, of course, reports about the shootings in Colorado and a picture of the shooter in his first court appearance.

          Then there is the report of the sanctions imposed on Penn State and one article asks the question, “Why inflict punishment on the innocent for the failures of the guilty.”

          And this leads to an interesting point. Have we abdicated responsibility and covered the need for discipline with codes and “zero tolerance” statements? Where is the teacher’s authority in the classroom? Where is the University President’s being able to say, “This is wrong.”?

          Have we replaced these codes and rules and standards of right and wrong with ‘Who am I to judge?”

          The letter of St. Peter speaks to people living in just such a confused world as well, and He says this:
      “I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them already and are firmly established in the truth you now have. I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know I will soon put it aside as the Lord Jesus has made clear to me.
      And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things”. 2 Peter 1, 12-15.

          What Peter reminds them of is to remember the Truth of the Gospel, and then “Grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. To Him be glory forever.: 2 Peter 3,18.

          The sky is still showing clouds slowly drifting by, and it reminds me that “Our God is in the Heavens, He has done whatsoever He wills.: And His will for us was to send His Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross for our sins. And I am grateful because I am His.

GPD 7/24/12

No comments:

Post a Comment