Saturday, July 28, 2007

Musings on the Church 7/28/07


Did you notice, last time you were on vacation, how one tends to become sort of lax – we can even say sloppy – in some details of our daily life? Maybe don't shave as often, or change socks, or neglect daily exercise etc.

It’s easy to slip into such habits. And soon they become comfortable. When we read the Book of Jeremiah – I know, that’s Old Testament – but remember, “all scripture is written for our learning.. .upon whom the ends of the ages has come.” 1 Cor 10,11. Romans 15,4 Even if it was written in Scripture long ago, you can be sure it's written for us. God wants the combination of his steady, constant calling and warm, personal counsel in Scripture to come to characterize us, keeping us alert for whatever he will do next “ MSG.

So warnings are there. Do not take things for granted. Stay with the basics. Have them firmly in hand and live by them. Nobody has ever gotten out of bed some Sunday and said, “Today I have become an unbeliever. I no longer join other Christians in worship. That’s old fashioned stuff. Outdated. We are living in 2007, for goodness sake”.

No, the warnings are against slipping away. Hebrews calls it “becoming lazy”. Heb 6,12. Such slipping away is easy. You see it around you every day. One day you say, “I haven’t seen so and such for some time. Wonder what happened?” Better check into it, friend. That’s what Christians do, support each other.

England, Germany, the Scandinavian countries, all of Europe, is filled with established church, large churches, old and long established churches, that are nearly empty on worship hours. Africa ss two times as large as the United States, it has more than twice as many Lutherans, who are sending missionaries to our shores. These people are still excited at the news. The news of Jesus suffering death and resurrection excites them and enervates them to share.

That’s the way we once accepted the news too. Jesus Christ died for ME. Isn’t that a bit of news that thrills me. Me, here in this little corner of the world. He died for Me, cares for Me, knows what my needs are and sees to them. Like a loving Parent, He loves me as an individual. Not because I am this or that, but because I am His child.

I pray you, my friends, will find again this same kind of excitement and peace because this is true. And I thank God that it is so, I can depend on it, because “The Bible Tells Me So”.

GPD 7/28/07

No comments:

Post a Comment