Friday, November 2, 2007

Shade Tree Wisdom 11/2/07

This morning a sweater would have been enough. Where is the ‘cold front’ the weather man promises? Next week I’ll probably need both sweater and jacket for my walk. Go figure.

We were uptown this morning. Here is a contrast, a young girl walks by in light summer clothes, just above her head are the decorations for Christmas! Well, the paper repots the merchants are starting early.

Here it is November, and when I was still writing and editing a bulletin about this time one line always appeared. REMEMBER NOVEMNER 17. It was sort of an in-house joke in the church family. One, it reminded them time moves along. And it gave them a chance to smile and say, “Pastor has a birthday coming up”.

The fleeting time does remind me that it does move along, bring the burden of the years. I was speaking with a friend and he told me he sold their property in favor of a condo because “the yard work was getting to much for me”. It seems to do that.

And it reminded me of Moses. He led and taught the children of Israel for their 40 years of wandering. And when they neared the promised land, he himself would not enter in. God told him to climb Mt. Nebo and showed him the land, its beauty and its freshness, and there Moses died. The Bible tells us Moses was 120 years old and “his eyesight was not dimmed, nor his natural strength abated’, Deuteronomy 34. And he had the energy and strength to climb Mt. Nebo.

I complain about the ravages of the years. And yet, I have blessings “new every morning, great is Thy faithfulness”. So many and so rich are the blessings the gracious hand of God gives me daily, I cannot praise and thank Him enough. And it is time to remember that more, begin the day with a prayer of thanks and gratitude, and end the day with the same note. For great is God’s faithfulness. Its true for me, it is true for all God’s children. A note to recall when all we see is need, or worry, or fretting, or care.

For God is rich in His blessed care in His Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

GPD 11/2/07

No comments:

Post a Comment