Saturday, April 5, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom Envy 4/5/08

Yesterday morning when I passed maybe the third house on my way, a little dog started to follow me. I stopped and said, “Go home”, using my best preacher voice. He didn’t listen. But stayed with me, Now and then checked out a bush on the side, or looked at a tree, but always returned to stay at my heels. Then, when I got back around, he left at the third house.

Unusual because we don ‘t often see dogs running loose here. There is a leash law. Usually we see them being taken for walks, or panting in a car in a parking lot, but not running free like that. Well, I didn’t step on his toes and he didn’t nip at my heels, so we got along pleasantly.

But this business of envy. There is much more to say. For example, it shows how temptation works. Temptation to sin is not sin, you understand. Temptation is the thought or urge to do something forbidden. When you follow that urge and do the wrong, that is sin. Sin is always going against the will of God.

Envy is a terrible thing to struggle with. There is a word, Schadenfreude, you hear it sometimes. It means being glad over another’s misfortune. Like, “Sorry you had a flat on the way to work”, but secretly saying, ‘ you deserved it’.

Envy lies behind negative statements, or bitter gossip, or stuff like ‘keying’ a car. It means, I see what you have, I’m jealous, and I’ll try my best to spoil I for you. The “Dog in the Manger” attitude, The horse has worked hard, the farmer waters and feeds it, but the dog in the manger nips at the horse every time it wants to take a bite.

Here is a good word to remember. “Love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.. . .it keeps no record of wrongs. It does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” 1 Cor. 13, 4-7. And then this, “Be kind to one another, and tenderhearted, and forgive as God for Christ’s sake has forgiven you.” Eph 4,31.

The warning stands, Envy starts lots of misery for us. Best to avoid it.

GPD 4/5/08

No comments:

Post a Comment