Thursday, May 1, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 5/1/08

Ascension Day

A light jacket was enough. On my way I meet this teenager on the way to her bus stop. I wave, she waves, she smiles, I smile, and we pass on. Just one of those every day things, not important, but they happen in life. That’s life.

We had been to church, and it was not a Sunday. I had just started school, my brother was a few years ahead of me. So we asked Father why. And he explained what Himmelfahrt meant. [it means Ascension].

Father told us the story of Jesus travelling in a ship. He had been teaching and healing, busily at work, and in the evening He asked the disciples to cross to the other side. They, being experienced sailors and fisherman, got things underway, and Jesus found a pillow in the back part of the ship and went to sleep. The wind rose, waves got bigger, and suddenly they were in a storm that threatened to swamp them. Frightened, they woke Jesus and said, “Don’t you care that we are perishing?” Mark 4,38.

Jesus stilled the storm and then asked, “Why are you afraid, don’t you have faith?” v.40.

We knew the story. Father paused, looked at us, and said, “It’s a question people often ask. Don’t you know that the crop is poor? Don’t you care my child is sick? God, don’t you listen?

“And that’s what Ascension means to me”, Father said. ”when the night comes, and darkness falls, and worries and cares burden me, I know that Jesus is in heaven, He sees all my problems, knows my worries, and my faith says that He has a solution for me that will strengthen my faith, and make It grow, and be a blessing for me.”

Yes, God knows, and God cares, and God does. That is what gives comfort when we recite at worship “He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God, the Father. From thence He will come to judge the quick and the dead.”

May this Ascension Day be an enriching time for your faith.

GPD 5/1/08

No comments:

Post a Comment