Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 9/2/08

Well, it’s really nice out this morning, cool air, sunny weather, and we are far from any hurricane devastation though expecting some rain, welcome rain, later in the day and week.

Meanwhile, Hanna is moving closer, and Ike lurks in the distance, and other storms are forming in the Atlantic. It may well be a busy season, and we pray the Lord will preserve life and use the storms in the way best for all.

Meanwhile, my attention is directed to pills. A favorite columnist speaks about pills the other day. He expressed the hope that he might end his days without using them, but finds himself popping pills regularly.

But what caught my attention mostly was the reading the pharmacy sends along with any prescription. It’s usually in small print, and seems to cover every possible side effect. Some to be taken at bedtime only, others the time of day doesn’t matter, with others you need to wait 30 minutes before taking others, some each week on a certain day, others again have no such schedule.

Like most people, I often take several at once, and leave them to sort out where they belong and do what they are intended for. And I guess that happens, because I am still here.

In my lifetime I spent many hours in various hospitals visiting, praying with, having bedside devotions, private communions, or just being there for a moment. And it was my boast that I had been in the hospital hundreds of times, but never as a patient, till about 6 months ago, when I had a stent placed. And when I told the nurses this was my very first time as a patient they’d glance at the chart and say, “Hard to believe”.

I consider it a rich blessing from the hand of my gracious God. So I am not complaining about the pills now. But the thought never fails to remind me of the truth expressed in that Psalm most people know. Psalm 23 says “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He leadeth me beside the still waters,. . . he restoreth my soul. And . . . . . . . .surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” The promise is never failing, and it always brings renewed strength and hope to the burdens that life may have in store for me. Because it tells me that the Lord, the faithful Shepherd, leads, guides, and keeps us in His tender care.

So Hanna may be getting closer, and Ike lurking in the Atlantic, and other storms forming, and pills never seeming to end, but He keeps me always. May the Lord keep and bless your day, every day.

GPD 9/2/08

No comments:

Post a Comment