Friday, June 12, 2009

Shade Tree Wisdom 6/12/09

An article quotes President Calvin Coolidge. He said, “If all the people in the United States would do the few simple thing they know they ought to do, most of our big problems would take care of themselves.” [Just by the way, there is another Coolidge quote. One Sunday he went to worship alone. When he returned, one house guest asked him what the preacher had as a topic. Coolidge replied, “sin”. “Well, what did he say?” the guest asked. The President said, “He was against it”.]

There is a world of wisdom buried in that sentence spoken many, many years ago. It is a bit of wisdom still exactly true. And it zeros in on the “what ifs” of life. The regrets that come when our mistakes catch up with us.

Solomon speaks of this sort of regret when he is offering advice: “my son, pay attention to my words, listen well to my words of insight.”

Why? Later regrets for not doing so. He said: “At the end of your life you will groan, 11 You don't want to end your life full of regrets, nothing but skin and bones, 12 saying, "Oh, why didn't I do what they told me? Why did I reject a disciplined life? 13 Why didn't I listen to my mentors, or take my teachers seriously? 14 My life is ruined! I haven't one blessed thing to show for my life!" Prov. 5, 11-14

People often do rue actions which they did in the exuberance of youth, or simply ‘just because’, or on a dare, or out of ignorance, or carelessly, or in haste, mindlessly, thoughtlessly. They ignore the teachings of a loving mother and a caring and concerned father. And what Solomon says becomes true.

Now consider again the Coolidge quote, “if all the people in the United States would do the few simple things they know they ought to do, most of our big problems would take care of themselves.” Isn’t it the same with your life in Christ. To do daily what He lays at hand for you to do, do it faithfully, with your best earnest effort.

The seed grows, “he knoweth not how”. Peter said, “Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever! Amen. 2 peter 3,18.

GPD 6/12/09

No comments:

Post a Comment