Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Shade Tree Wisdom 11/3/09

November, what a nice month, filled with Natal days in plenty, including, of course, Martin Luther on the 10th, and B, who shares the day with me, and mine, the 17th.

November 17th was also memorable in my father’s eyes because it is the day he first put his milk herd into the new barn. He had bought this farm when mother and father were married. It had been a seed farm which had been run down, and he planned to turn it into a dairy farm, because that’s what he was, a dairy farmer. So the shed was unsuitable for such an operation. The new barn was some 80 feet by about 40 feet, had the main level for the cattle, and above that, storage for hay, grain, and straw. A silo at the west end was for silage for feed also. The building was built for $ 800.00, and on November 17th father was able to start using it. So for years he told me he did not really know what made him prouder, getting his cattle into shelter or my being born.

A note: When I graduated from the Seminary he told me I made him prouder! Vindicated.

Having said that, I feel like bumbling today. “What’s that”, you ask. It’s a nice word meaning “wandering around without purpose”. Just sort of lazing the day away. Maybe tread a little, or just sit and chat, or daydream, or whatever.

We really live in too much of a rush these days, don’t we. Even frown on taking a nap. We think that is for wimps, unless, of course, we call it a “power nap”, that makes it all right for it is meant to give a strong sound with lots of meaning, to leave us with renewed energy and strength to work the rest of the day.

I, on the other hand, have reached the years when taking a nap is acceptable , so I take a nap, and enjoy it.

After all, here just lying on the grass is dangerous, for fire ants will come, and they bite. Oh sure, we have stuff guaranteed to destroy them, but they seem to survive in spite of man’s efforts. So lying on the grass and gazing at clouds, called “cloud spotting” is not done here. And that’s too bad, I miss that.

It’s all a gift from God to make life interesting, comfortable, and purposeful. And so, as the Psalm writes, “I trust in Your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, for He has been good to me.” Psalm 13,5.6.

GPD 11/3/09

No comments:

Post a Comment