Thursday, December 3, 2009

Shade Tree Wisdom 12/3/09

Still mighty cool, but no wind to speak of, so the walking is fine. Well, no sooner mention running dogs then this happens. I was just leaving the house when a car came drifting slowly by. The driver rolled down his window and said, “Have you seen my dogs around anyplace? They got out because someone left the gate open. They are friendly.”

“No,” I said, but as I looked up the street I saw two dogs trotting along and said, “Could that be yours?”

He looked, whistled and called them, and they came running. He opened the door and they jumped in and left. Meanwhile, I retreated to the safety of my front door. I’ve been nipped by “friendly” dogs, and I’m wary of them.

And it made me think, “If I had a choice in which age I would want to live, which would it be?” I have no choice, really but I do have control of the attitude I take about the life I am living. I remember, - when the years take their toll of strength and health, one tends to remember. There were good days. And there were days not so pleasant at all. There is always a mix, of times, and of people. And other ages had other distractions, because the devil is always at work trying his level best to pry us away from our faith In the Lord Jesus Christ.

What brings that to mind is the season we are observing right now, the Season of Advent, the time of waiting for the coming of Jesus. Or the Season of Lent. Churches were filled, we even held two special midweek services to accommodate the worshippers. And the worship, sermons to be remembered and savored. I do not believe any worshippers will ever forget the series preached by the Rev. Dr. O.P.Kretzman, in the chapel of Valparaiso University. He titled the series, “Voices of the Passion”.

But this day sees so many other attractions, and distractions, to take our eye and our thought from the Main Event, the Savior.

Let us never forget in the history of the world, powers have come, been strong and mighty for a little time, and faded away. And all the time, quietly and without much ado, the Lord is at work, doing His will, blessing His people in serving Him. St. Paul in his lonely prison cell writing, “They threw me into this place to shut me up, and it worked to my advantage, because many of my jailors are now also Christians.”

So it always is. The Lord is at work, and whether I get the credit, or see the outcome, let me just be Content. Quoting St. Paul again, “I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content.” I pray God will grant this for my life, and for yours.

GPD 12/3/09

No comments:

Post a Comment