Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Shade Tree Wisdom 4/28/10

The morning is fine. Wanted me to burst into song. I remembered a morning of a July 4th some years back when I did. Burst into song, I mean. Ruth and I had been to the patriotic concert at the pavilion and on that fine 4th morning I started to sing that “It’s a grand old flag, it’s a high flying flag, and forever in peace may she wave.” When I heard a bass voice to my left join in, then a lady across the street who had allowed the cat out, and another man up the street then another lady further along. So we finished the chorus, I called out, “Thanks, have a fine Fourth”, and turned the corner, the moment was over. But I imagine it warmed the hearts for a long time that day. I know it made me feel great.

But these days I feel a bit saddened by the news that the former President of the Michigan District has died. He was a friend. We graduated from the Seminary the same year. He was called to Wyoming, I to Missouri. We were going to change the world and offer final solutions to problems. (All graduates feel this way).

Over time the Lord moved both of us to Michigan, where he was elected President from which office he retired. I spent my last eleven years in Detroit. We kept in touch, sort of. Maybe shared a cup of coffee at a District convention. Chatted casually now and then. I sent notes of commendation for some act of his in office. That kind of thing. Lately he was on my Shade Tree list and would make a comment now and then. Now the days the Lord allotted him were ended, and I rejoice over his victory. But it leaves me a little sad. And I pray with the Psalm, “Lord, lead me in the way everlasting”. Ps. 139,24b.

But the world goes on with its mounting problems. Right now there is a furor over the new Arizona law. But the Governor says the government had been doing very little. Arizona ranchers are getting murdered by illegals. The kidnapping rate in that state is the worst on record, people are getting desperate. And it is all because for years the laws we have about entering this country have been ignored, or too loosely applied to be effective, and the longer it goes, the worse the problems become.

St. Paul urges us to pray for government because it is set there by God. Then let us also pray that the government set there will be people of purpose who will lift our sights, set standards and live by them. Bring back the way of life God meant for His children when He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to pay for the sins of mankind by His blood.

GPD 4/28/10

No comments:

Post a Comment