Thursday, June 3, 2010

Shade Tree Wisdom 6/3/10

Rain last night, how much I don’t know. But the air was clean and fresh, and just as I stepped back on the porch the rain began again for a bit, but the bus was just in time to allow the waiting students to get on before they got drenched to start their day.

A note in the news reports that this summer grasshoppers will be invading some states. That is sad news, thought today they can spread poison to end this invasion.

I remember only one time that grasshoppers came as far as our farm in large numbers. Fortunately, by the time they came, most of the crops were harvested and safely stored, and before they could too much damage to the greenery, a strong wind hastened them out over Lake Michigan and ended the danger. Fish had a feeding frenzy, fishermen reported. Well, so did the chickens on the farm.

However, that summer grasshoppers had done much damage to crops in the western plain states, simply destroying crops and all greenery.

Such incidents always raise questions, as do hurricanes, floods, wild storms, and other natural disasters. We are always looking for reasons and causes.

Remember one things the Scripture teaches us quite clearly.

8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 5, 8-11

In brief, the Lord does not need to give us reasons for such actions, does He? Let us be willing to give thanks for whatever He allows, and praise His name for giving us the mercy and grace to send His Son our Savior. That is enough.

GPD 6/3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment