Sunday, September 23, 2007

Shade Tree Wisdom 9/23/07

When I was young – and I wasn’t all that much younger then – election years started on Labor Day and ended in November. Now the elections are yet more than a year away, and candidates are already running hard. I hear the spending for campaign ads will top one billion dollars.

One problem with all this is that we have too long a time to learn about the good and bad features of every candidate, and so make judgment on that basis. Well, we do altogether too much of that anyhow, don’t we, making judgments, I mean?

I was reminded again this morning about what God wants us to do for these elected officials. He said, and I quote l Timothy 2, 1. “First of all, then, I urge that . . .prayers. . .be made for all people, for kings and for all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way”.

I noticed that again, it is not that we pray because we like them, but because of the position they hold. That makes all the difference, doesn’t it? Our prayer says, “My Lord and God, I leave this in your almighty and all-wise hand”.

Maybe it is time we really give this some thought. Debate, of course, but also always remember WHO is, after all, involved here with us.

And, we can ever trust Him, for His wisdom is ever higher than ours, as Isaiah 55 tells us.

May God bless us in this land.

GPD 9/23/07

No comments:

Post a Comment