Thursday, January 6, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 1/6/11


Nice walking this morning, I planned it so I could avoid the snorting boxes running about on school day mornings. So it was nice walking out this morning.

And today the church observes Epiphany. The day we remember Jesus being revealed to the Gentiles, with the visit of the wise men from the East. Three or fifteen, the number is not given in the record. I believe the number comes from the fact that there were three gifts mentioned in the Matthew Record.

This is also the end of the twelve days of Christmas, which start the evening of December 25 and run to this morning.

I mention this season and the events because it really does introduce Jesus as Savior of the world, all nations and people under the sun are included, and that is our gift from God. Free salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ.

St. John, in his first letter, explains it. “And He (Jesus Christ, the Righteous), is the propitiation for our sins, but not for ours only, but also for the sin of the whole world.” 1 John 2,2.

A long time ago when I was receiving instruction for confirmation, we were discussing judgment, and one student asked, what would happen then. I remember pastor leaned back in his chair and said, “Johnny, when we stand before the judgment seat of God, there is an arm that comes around our shoulder and we will hear a quiet voice say, “Father, I died for this one”. That picture has stuck in my mind, because it says I stand righteous before this Judgment seat because of Jesus Christ. I hope it brings you comfort too.

GPD 1/6/11

No comments:

Post a Comment