Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 2/22/11


Today is the anniversary of President Washington’s birthday which was observed yesterday as President’s Day, probably little observed any longer, unless of course, governments give employees a day off so they can save us poor tax payers some money. Thus being “Prudent” for the cause.

Theodore Roosevelt spoke about the affect solid leaders have when he said, “It is not only the country which these men helped build that is ours; we inherit also all that is the best and highest in their characters and in their lives.”

Which leads me to integrity. I remember homes often had wise sayings or mottoes hanging on their living room walls. One I remember read,

“Life is like a field of newly fallen snow;
where I choose to walk every step will show”.

People knew instinctively that integrity meant a personal standard of morality and ethics that does not change with each situation. It is, rather, an inner standard for judging behavior. Unfortunately, such integrity seems to be in short supply today.

Integrity means having standards and convictions and using them. It means learning words such as psalm 119,105 “Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path”, and using them as a guide. Of such a man Job said (17,9, “The righteous shall hold on his way, and he that has clean hands shall be stronger and stronger.”

I remember one Sunday we were leaving The Woodlands for a preaching engagement. The rain had washed the trees, which now sparkled in the morning sunshine, the scene was so peaceful and quiet and I remember thinking, “I wish we could transport this scene and keep it like this always”.

But of course that isn’t possible. God never promised to sweep us behind locked doors and keep us always safe. Instead, He said, “You are in the world, but not of the world.” Then He promised, “In the world you will have tribulation, but fear not, I have overcome the world.: John 16,33. How comforting to know this, Jesus has overcome the world.

That is so in the world we are living in where there seems no end of pain, of problems, of trouble, of needless and mindless hurt we cause one another. In this world, God’s promise to Joshua still rings true, “As I was with Moses so I will be with you; I will never leave you, nor forsake you.” Josh.1,5.

That is part of your strength under God. So live with integrity, and serve as the “Salt and light of the world" as the Lord sent you to be.

GPD 2/22/11

No comments:

Post a Comment