Thursday, March 17, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 3/17/11


Walking was pleasant. St. Patrick’s Day brings limericks to mind, and I won’t bore you with some. Though I did amuse myself on this walk by composing a limerick about this fine day. Well, its better than just daydreaming, isn’t it?

We are still in Lent, have really just begun. It is indeed a fitting time, as has been pointed out, to take a serious look at our spiritual life.

Some questions we might ask. Have I fed the faith daily? Do I look first of all to my Lord for help when I have a problem? Have I read my Bible lately, and carefully listened? Is some light shining on a dusty corner of my life that needs ‘cleaning up’ by repentance and forgiveness?

So many questions. Lent is the time to find answers in Christ.

In this fast-paced, get-ahead world, it’s easy to wear ourselves down, always pressing ahead and moving forward. Then it is best that we find time – or take time is the word – to “come ye aside and rest a while.”

The disciples had been busy doing what Jesus asked them to do. Now He says, “Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place and rest awhile, for there were many coming and going and they had no leisure so much as to eat.” Mark 6,31.

Our Lord Jesus often went apart to be with His Father, and so should we. We read after a busy day in the region of the Sea of Galilee He retreated. Matthew tells us that “when He had sent the multitudes away. He went up on the Mountain by to pray. Now when evening was come, He was there alone.” Matthew 14,23.

The Hymn, “Children of the heavenly Father" expresses in verse 4, this thought of comfort.
“Though He giveth and He taketh,
God Hs children ne’er forsaketh,
His the loving purpose solely,
To preserve them pure and holy.”

Meditate on that thought and remember in His loving grace lies our forgiveness because Christ died.

GPD 3/17/11

No comments:

Post a Comment