Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 4/6/11


The walk was pleasant this morning, just a bit nippy, but no wind, and it was quiet because I was out before the yellow box came lumbering on its morning rounds. The only sound was birds chirping here and there and now and then a little bark in a back yard over there.

We are deep into the Lenten season, and I wonder whether we have been taking advantage of the reason for these days before the Crucifixion of our Lord.

St. Peter in his letters is talking about things they already know, but he keeps at it, “as long as I am in the tent of this body, which my Lord has made known to me I will soon leave.”

Have you and I used some time to search into the hidden corners of our lives? I mean looking at things we try to keep from others? Have we repented of that sin that is so dear to us – maybe it is over eating, or being quick to anger, or lazy, or careless in dress and habits, or even – dare I even say this – gossiping?

Use the Word to look for correction, repent of our sins, and seek His forgiveness. Then cleansed and saved, we are perfected by grace. For Psalm 130, has this comfort for us.

“If Thou, Lord, shouldest mark iniquity, O Lord,
Who shall stand?
But there is forgiveness with Thee, that Thou
Mayest be feared.
I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait,
And in His Word do I hope.” Ps. 130,3-5.

There speaks a person who has repented of sin, and received God’s full and free
forgiveness. For Jesus Christ paid the penalty our sins deserved when He died
for us.

So with the psalmist we say, “When we were overwhelmed by sins You forgave our transgressions.” Ps. 65,3

And because that has happened, Christ has died and risen again, we can wish one another “peace of God be with you”, and be aware of just what a wonderful wish we are speaking to each other in Christ.

So, “When morning dawns, and evening fades,
You call for songs of joy”.Ps.65,8b.

GPD 4/6/11

No comments:

Post a Comment