Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Shade Tree Wisdom 2/7/12



          In my morning walk I bumped into my neighbor and we spoke a word or two about the weather and agreed that we do not remember a really hard freeze at all so far this year.  But we have had enough rain to fill some of the lakes a bit and that is heartening, and I am truly thankful to God for His care.

          Caught this line in the morning paper.  “There are two kinds of people who don’t say much, those who are quiet and those who talk all the time”.

          That struck me, because I am reading that the new phones have so many devices as equipment on them the battery doesn’t last all day.

          One solution the fellow who has invented a charger that charges while he walks, walking 15 minutes gives him a minute of talk time.

          Maybe a better solution is not to be talking quite so much.

          A recent assigned reading was the section of First Samuel where Samuel had his first encounter with the Lord.  He is awakened from sleep and thinks his mentor, the priest Eli, is calling, so he answers him.  That happens three times when Eli finally realizes that it is the Lord calling.  So he gives this advice to young Samuel. ”When it happens again say, ‘speak Lord, for thy servant heareth’.”

          That’s what happened, and Samuel did say, “Speak, thy servant heareth”. 1 Samuel 3, 10.

          Maybe that’s the best advice yet.  Do more listening, less talking.  For as one wise man said, “When I am doing the talking I am not learning anything new.  It’s when I am listening that I learn.  So it’s best to listen, and learn”.

          Always good advice, then we don’t need to try to unsay the words that would have been better let unsaid to begin with.  May God bless your day.

GPD 2/7/12

No comments:

Post a Comment