Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Shade Tree Wisdom 9/18/12


          It had rained overnight, so the air Saturday morning was fresh and rain-washed and cooler. As I was driving to my Bible study early on, the streets and walks were full of runners, joggers, walkers.  Some just walking their dogs, others jogging, but most walking with energy and purpose.

          The scene was so serene and I would say almost bucolic, it was hard to believe that on the other side of the world people were screaming and shooting and dying, that on Wall Street police were arresting demonstrators, and in Chicago teachers were on strike, asking for more money.

          The world is torn by unrest and strife.  And added to that usually there is an earthquake somewhere, or a flood, or some other destructive Happening.

          So I turn to the Scriptures, to the Word God has given us for help and strength.  I find there this word from Psalm 121.  Listen.
              “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, 
               From whence cometh my help.
               My help comes from the Lord,
               Who made heaven and earth.” Then,
               “The Lord shall preserve thy going out
                And thy coming in,
                From this time forth,
                and even forevermore.” Psalm 121 l.2.8

          And I am content, secure in the knowledge that the same God who allows me to live in this place, also sees the rest of the world, and nothing is there He does not see and bend to His will.

GPD 9/18/12

No comments:

Post a Comment