Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Shade Tree Wisdom 11/11/12


          On November 10, 1483, Martin Luther was born in Eisleben, Germany. He grew up and the Lord used him greatly to search out the true word of the gospel.

          Through prayer and earnest study he searched out the Light, removing all the tangled web of man-made rules and the mish-mash of disorder that enmeshed the Church’s teachings.

          So he was able to stand before emperors and papal delegates and say, “I can do no other, God helping me,”

          The Reformation brought back the one difference, the only real difference, between true religion and every false religion. It showed once more that the Gospel is the one difference between religions because it, and it alone, offers us the forgiveness of sins.

          Think of it. Your sins and mine, are forgiven, they are gone, drowned in the “depths of the sea,” as the bible teaches.

          Centuries later, on November 17, 1920, to be exact, I was born, and baptized three days later during a snow storm (That was my first ride in an auto, a Model T Ford). Holy baptism made me a child of God, and placed me among the great throng of God’s children.

          I grew, studied, and became, by His grace, a Pastor in the LCMS. I had the high privilege and solemn duty to speak the Gospel to people. I still do here and there, as God grants me, after this long time, strength and ability so to do.

          But as another birthday nears, I just wanted again to tell you what sets us off under God, that is, God forgives us our sins and calls us righteous and holy before Him. Indeed,
              “Nothing in my hand I bring,
               Simply to Thy cross I cling.
               Naked, come to Thee for dress,
               Helpless, look to Thee for grace.
               Foul I to the Fountain fly,
               Wash me, Savior, or I die.” LSB 761,3

          So, God bless your knowing, believing, and rejoicing, in the news of the Gospel.

GPD 11/11/12

No comments:

Post a Comment