Thursday, January 3, 2013

Shade Tree Wisdom 1/3/13


          The year 2013 lies before us, its pages yet blank, waiting for us to write our deeds and our misdeed. I hope it will be good,, that record that you write, and have God’s blessing attend it. (More on this later)

          But now, did you know there were 35 bowl games to end this season? I remember when the Rose bowl, and maybe the Sugar and Cotton bowl, were it. That astonishes me sort of, but it really is our history, isn’t it? Like something, we want more and more and more till we finally tire of it altogether.

          It’s like racing, yacht and all kinds of boats, from America’s Cup to individual races with small boats that teach children the art of sailing. There are such annual events as that from Port Huron to Mackinaw, or from Chicago to the Locks etc. But the longest, toughest of all, is described in a book titled, “Race France to France”. Called the Vendee Globe, it was started by French ocean racer Philippe Jeantot in 1989, and the course is to sail around the world, 28,000 miles, in an 65 foot boat alone. It usually takes some 4 months, and the review I read ended with “by the way, don’t forget to eat, sleep, write, make sail changes, analyze the weather, charge the batteries, bail the forepeak, drain the cockpit compartment, and, oh, be really careful brushing your teeth so you don’t stab yourself in the throat.”

          Why do people do that sort of thing? Or the runner who ran his 1000th marathon in Kingwood Texas on New Year’s Day, 2013.

          No matter, the year lies before us, it pages yet to be filled with life.

          And for that, I offer this psalm.
               The Lord is my Rock, and my fortress; my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust;
               my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my tower.”
          Psalm 18, 1. and “Who is a Rock save our God”. V.31.

          So, may the pages yet to be written be filled with things that glorify God.

GPD 1/3/13

No comments:

Post a Comment