Thursday, June 20, 2013

Shade Tree Wisdom 6/20/13

Shade Tree Wisdom 6/20/13


       Recently, in preparing a site for new construction here in Houston, the developer’s bulldozer leveled part of a city park, trees that had given shade and cool places to meet, picnic, and play. No one in authority evidently noticed, till private citizens raised a cry. Then there were promises of ‘making it all right”. Human error, we say.

       Houston will host the 2017 Super Bowl in its Reliant Stadium. Standing next to this is the Astrodome, called ‘the eighth wonder of the world’ when it was built. But empty now for years infested with rats, decaying. And suddenly there are plans to develop it for real use again. (After all, we can’t have that sadly neglected thing giving us a bad name, right?)

       And what about the endless revelations in government?

       It is dismaying, and a little frightening, that such error-prone humans are in charge.

       Then I turn to Him, my God, who loved me so much that He sent His Son to die for me even me.

       And my comfort is that the blessing of Aaron falls on my ears each week. “The Lord bless thee and keep thee; The Lord make His grace shine on thee, and be gracious unto thee; the Lord lift up His countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.” And with that promise, I can enter the new week refreshed, strengthened, and eager for the new day in Him, for I do have peace with God.

GPD 6/20/13

No comments:

Post a Comment