Thursday, September 12, 2013

Shade Tree Wisdom 9/12/13


          Just observed the 68th year of my ordination into the Holy Ministry, and it brings all kinds of memories. The country was at war during my Seminary years. Students were classified 4F, but the Seminary had to add a quarter of classes each year. That explains the date of my graduation, Friday, July 13, l945.

The war was drawing to a close, and the country sighed a sigh of relief and spoke prayers of thanksgiving. Troops were coming home and making the difficult adjustments that meant. The Church was active and much involved in helping  get things back to normal.

I remember the excitement of graduation, and looking forward to the next phase of my life. Some of my classmates elected to become chaplains. As a matter of fact one of them ended his career as Chief of Chaplains in the Army. I accepted a Call as assistant Pastor at Immanuel Lutheran Church, St. Charles, Mo. From that beginning other parishes followed, ending the final 11 years at Bethany Lutheran Church, Detroit, Michigan. I retired on my 65th birthday and then moved to Texas in order to watch our grandchildren grow.

Now our nation just observed the anniversary of 9/11/01. An event that changed our country. And the prophet Habakkuk comes to mind. Living by faith is a bewildering adventure, for we seldom know what lies in the future, And Habakkuk gives voice to our bewilderment. The events from which he spoke came when he saw that God was going to use the godless military machine of Babylon to punish Israel. Using a godless nation to punish a godly one didn't make sense and Habakkuk said that to God.

But then he did more. He Listened, and he began to understand the sovereignty of God. That God is in this world, rules it, and every detail of our lives is worked out to something good. So He ends by saying, “I’m singing joyful praise to God. . .counting on God’s rule to prevail”. Hab.3,18

So the years have been richly blessed. And I also “count on God’s rule to prevail” always.

9/12/13

No comments:

Post a Comment