Thursday, May 1, 2014

Shade Tree Wisdom 5/1/14

               
                While visiting Frankenmuth, Michigan, one summer day, I noticed this sign on one shop wall:
“The hurrier I go,
The behinder I get”.

          Here it is, the first of May already, and I am reminded the old adage still holds. “Tempus fugit”. That’s what our Latin professor always answered when we complained about an assignment. He would say, “Boys, start it now, remember tempus fugit.”

          And life goes on, here we are in May, and one of our grandsons graduates from Texas A & M this month. (Just in time, because a report in the news says the Board of Regents is thinking of raising tuition for next year’s freshmen class another 6%).

          Time is such a fleeting thing, isn’t it? And we, all of us, often wonder “where has the time gone?” The trick is to make good use of the time we do have. And that is what that Latin professor was trying to teach us, Plan things, do things in order, use a system to remind you of tasks that need doing. Then do what lies at hand to do and relax with the satisfaction of job well done, and a life well lived under God.

          A friend who is also retired said one time, “You know, I get up in the morning, eat my breakfast, do my devotions and start my day and I find to my utter surprise that I am already way behind schedule”.

          So far time, but you and I, who are baptized children of God, trust Him.
Listen to the Psalm (139,7-10)
“Wither shall I go from Thy Spirit,
Or where shall I flee from Thy presence?
If I ascend up into heaven
Thou art there,
If I make my bed in hell,
Behold. Thou art there.
If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
Even there shall Thy hand lead me,
And thy right hand hold me”

          So yes,“The hurrier I go, The behinder I get”

          And it matters not, because “Thou art there”.

GPD 5/1/14

No comments:

Post a Comment