Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/30/08

So, yesterday was Ruth and my 63rd wedding anniversary, and we spent the day in the hospital, I having a heart picture taken, and Ruth mostly just waiting.

The doctor thought the little pains I was having was from another area, but the picture showed the stent that had been placed in the artery in February is among the 5% stent failures, not doing its job at all.

Now what? Well, the office will call in a day or two to set up an appointment for a strategy session, to figure out what is best now.

Meanwhile, I was re-reading Psalm 139. It reminded me of when our youngest daughter had applied to the Synod for an overseas teaching assignment, and they did not accept unmarried young ladies for such positions, but the defense department did. So we were in the Federal Building in Memphis Tenn. where she was getting her final procedural papers. On the wall was a world map, and I finally located Okinawa , her first assignment in an Air Force school. I pointed to this lonely little spot surrounded by water and said, “There?” And she replied, “Even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast” Psalm 139,10.

So yesterday I was re-reading that calming psalm and especially this: “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be”. Vv. 14.16.

So the comfort is that no matter the final outcome, God already knows how it will end for me. And He cared enough to send His own son Jesus to pay the high cost of my sins, so He can and does declare me “Righteous and holy”. That is enough.

GPD 7/30/08

No comments:

Post a Comment