Thursday, August 7, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 8/7/08

Beautiful out this morning, sunny, warm, and promises to be another hot day. And I slept well last night. But I was wondering, do mothers still sing lullabies to their children, or is everything in turmoil, including the warm feelings engendered at bedtime?

I remember a mother sitting at my bedside, softly singing Brahms lullaby, ‘Guten abend”, that is “Lullaby and good night, with roses bedight”.

Or in our own household the air softly echoed with
“Sleep, my child, and peace attend thee,
All through the night.
Guardian angels God will send you,
All through the night.
Soft the drowsy hours are creeping,
Hill and dale in slumber seeping,
I my loved ones’ watch am keeping,
All through the night”.

Or other familiar verses. “Tired I am, I’ll go to rest, snuggled in my little nest.”

Are we still acquainted with that fine Evening prayer Dr. Luther composed.
“I thank you, my heavenly father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son,
That You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray that you would
Forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me
This night, for into your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and
All things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe will have no
Power over me. Amen. [It’s in Lutheran Service Book pg.327.]

In our times when so much of God’s design for marriage is cast aside, treated lightly, or ignored, and so many children are born ‘out of wedlock’ this subject came to mind. How are such children raised with loving care, attention to their needs, and mostly, attention to their spiritual welfare?

The warm feeling of being wanted, cared for, and having God Himself sending angels to guard us is a feeling that stays, sharpens life, and leaves us with feelings of well being, of being cherished, and having a place in this world.
Day is done,
Gone the sun,
From the lake, from the hills, from the sky,
All is well, safely rest,
God is nigh.

GPD 8/7/08

No comments:

Post a Comment