Friday, August 8, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 8/8/08

So, for the Chinese the number eight is somehow lucky. But, for anyone who is a child of God there is no need for such ‘luck’ for, “Lord, you have searched me and known me! 2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. 3 You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. 4 Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Ps. 139, 1.1-4.

In Bible study someone asked where the picture of Satan with the horns, the pitchfork, and the tail and dressed all in fire red came from? It’s sort of like a Halloween costume, make believe. So the picture is popular because somehow it seems sort of harmless.

Let St. Paul describe Satan. Paul writes about false and sham preachers and then says they "transform themselves into apostles", and adds, “Satan himself poses as an angel of light”. [2 Cor. 11,14]. In other words, he comes in disguise so people don’t recognize the temptation as a temptation. And Paul also says, “we are not ignorant of his devices”. [2,11] “his sly ways”. And that’s exactly what Moses called him, “subtle”.

But I know, and I resist temptation all the time. Why, just last lunch I did not have a chocolate dessert even though I wanted it. Wonderful. But how about the Christian who sort of accepts homosexuality as a ‘life-style’ that is all right, not really understanding that this ‘life-style’ is a serious defiance of God? We often allow the world to teach us without speaking out, do we not? And that is all part of Satan’s sly trickery. Because the world is constantly teaching its ways.

Where do I find the way? David said in Psalm 119,125, “Give me understanding, that I may know your testimonies”. 16 Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? Rom.13,16. 30 Break open your words, let the light shine out, let ordinary people see the meaning. Ps.119,130.

One of the popular water parks had a new slide whose water action was so turbulent that it was tearing off swim suits. Guess where the crowd was gathering when word got out? So they stationed attendants with blankets. Now listen to what Job said, "I made a solemn pact with myself never to undress a girl with my eyes. Job 31,1.

That has to be the strategy. St. Paul spoke of never going to bed angry and said, ‘Never give the devil a chance.” That’s the strategy, the only way to win the fight with temptation. Stay away, avoid, run from it. Because we do have this, that we are God’s children who will never “allow us to be tempted above that we are able, so that we may be able to bear it. Thank God we are in His care.

GPD 8/8/08

No comments:

Post a Comment