Thursday, December 18, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 12/18/08

Sort of drizzly and dreary these early mornings, and foggy with it. But then the sun comes out and it usually turns into a pretty nice day after all. It is tending to get warmer for the rest of the week, and then, on Sunday down to 40 again, a drop of some 40 degrees from Saturday. No wonder we feel it. Dan, stop giggling.

But the weather made me think of the North East which had a considerable damaging storm, leaving one and a quarter million without power. And work crews often had to work in stormy conditions, making the work slower and harder to do. Now you know, without power, stuff doesn’t work. So let’s continue to pray for their rapid recovery.

I rarely go to a mall these days, since I have reached the years when my wants are few and easily satisfied. But I had an errand for Christmas, and the other day I was on the ring road, so I thought I’d skip in quickly and get it out if the way. Lo and behold, I looked in vain for a parking space. All were taken, so I came away, errand undone. (P.S. I asked a friend to see if she couldn’t do this errand for me, and I pray she has better success than I did.)

And have you noticed, people seem to be friendlier these days. Maybe it is the time of year – No, not when we are aiming for the same parking space, then friendly flies out the window, doesn’t it? But in general, the air seems more pleasant. A study I read recently says if one says ‘hello’ to a stranger on the street, more often than not that stranger will return the greeting with a smile. I’ve experimented with this at church when the crowd sort of looks past others without seeing anyone. Say the name and a hello and see what happens. The same study also shows that a teacher who greets her class by name as they come into the room will have a class doing better work by some 37%. The pupils simply do better work because they feel they have been acknowledged. Simple, isn’t it?

And talk of friendly and helpful, I find in a grocery store people go out of their way to be helpful. Recently I was looking for an item and before I found it there were 4 shoppers helping me look, and rejoicing when we had success.

Soon we celebrate Christmas. The prophet Micah said, “Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.” Micah 4,3. He was foretelling the coming of the messianic age. The first stage is the birth of Christ. Jesus said to His disciples, “Peace I leave with you; My Peace I give to you.. . .let not your hearts be troubled.” John 14,27. That is what we celebrate now, and we join in the angel chorus, “Peace on earth, good will to men”. Because His name is Jesus, who shall save His people from their sins.” That is what the peace consists of, peace with God because Jesus settled our sin account. Praise His Holy Name, and rejoice.

GPD 12/18/08

No comments:

Post a Comment