Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Shade Tree Wisdom 8/4/10

Well, this morning I stepped out for my walk, and stepped right into a spider’s web. Ugh. So I stepped back in, got a washcloth and towel, and fixed the damage. That’s about the only way one can remove that sticky web. I enjoyed the walk, temp in the mid 70’s, a bit on the humid side, but with just a tad of a breeze.

Now and then I receive a note thanking me for a Shade Tree Wisdom thought, or expression, or something else they appreciated. That is one reason I keep composing these random thoughts, for maybe a phrase will open fresh lines of thought, or add some insight, or bring new light to a subject, or refresh your memory for some blessing God has daily given. Or even remind you of a task left undone.

We are all on a journey through life. We meet problems, and solve them; we suffer loss, and overcome it, we have much joy and happiness in each other, and often don’t stop to appreciate that. And for our journey we need a map, guidance, direction, and, above all, wisdom.

Mostly, I want to remind us always there is God whose children we are by Holy Baptism. For that is where the strength and urge for living comes from, and is centered in.

St. Paul said, “I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.” Philippians 4,13. Paul also said, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness. Most gladly, therefore, I would rather boast about my weakness, that the power of Christ may dwell in me.” 2 Corinthians 12,9. And one more from St. Paul. “No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that you may be able to endure it”. 1 Cor. 10,13.

Do you get the message? God has given us strength for the life we face, so we can do it successfully. God changes our “I Can’t” to “I will”. The non-believer often may say “I can’t” because he really can’t. The Christian, however, is empowered by the holy Spirit who dwells in him, so when he says “I won’t, he is being disobedient. The Christian often is disobedient because he wants to; he selects that as a choice, not by force, but by his own sinful will.

So, turn with me to Habakkuk 3, 17 – 19. Read it, and find new strength for today’s journey. May God bless your journey.

GPD 8/4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment