Monday, August 9, 2010

Shade Tree Wisdom 8/9/10

It promises to be in the high 90’s all the week, and the heat index is such that weather people warn about danger of getting too much sun. Watch it is the watchword. So we remain inside for the most part, and if we do venture out, our car is equipped with that modern invention called air conditioning. And that always brings to mind my Grandmother D. When Uncle Oscar, who made a home for her, bought a new car which was glass enclosed, he would heat a brick and wrap it in a towel to keep her feet warm when they drove to church. She said to him one day, “Your know, Oscar, it wouldn’t surprise me if the boys in Detroit would figure out how to put heat in this car one day. She was right.

“Music has charms, To sooth the savage beast,
To soften rocks, Or bend a knotted oak”.

Music is an important part of Lutheran Church worship. Well, during the worship yesterday we paused a moment to acknowledge ten years of dedicated service of our Music Director. Music is sort of all too often taken for granted, yet it enhances the service, ties it all into one unit, and makes the service more memorable. One comes away refreshed, strengthened, and ready for the week.

I remember one August, a neighboring pastor needed to leave to be with his mother who was sick, and she lived in another state, so he asked me whether I might serve his congregation one Sunday. I agreed, but reminded him my morning was already filled with several church services. He assured me his congregation would be there at 2 in the afternoon. I wondered aloud if they would come then. He assured me they would, so I agreed, went –this church, my nearest neighbor, was 27 miles away and really in the country, surrounded by bean and oat fields and pasture. We had the service, and that congregation filled that church. But what stayed with me was the choir. It was small, and I later learned consisted of members of three families, all related, but blessed with voices any choirmaster would wish he had. They were really untrained except such as they may have picked up while in high school, but the sound was one I still remember. It enhanced the worship.

Hymns and choir anthems play a strong part in Lutheran worship. Many hymns by Paul Gerhard, have enriched and strengthened the faith for many during the years. Luther left us hymns still often sung. Music still plays a part to strengthen and feed the faith during the week. Many people remember their mothers singing while at work doing their daily chores around the house. Or a father whistling some hymn tune.

I am glad the Church took the time to mark the occasion, for music is often in the background, and provided by people who get no acknowledgement, nor want it, but it is appreciated just the same. I thank you, EP, and all others who are involved in the music program. “Now thank we all our God.”

GPD 8/9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment