Thursday, June 16, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 6/16/11


For some reason my attention was drawn to the obituary page of the morning paper. I knew none of those mentioned, ages ranged from 45 to 98, and several just fell asleep, others died after a lengthy illness, all left people who mourn their loss and will miss them.

And the words of Psalm 90 came to mind.
“The length of our years is seventy years, or eighty
If we have the strength. Yet their span is but trouble
And sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away.”
And so “teach us to number our days aright,
That we may a heart of wisdom” Ps. 90,10.12.

And I wondered, I have lived beyond that by the grace of God, and I am thankful and remember this, also from the Psalm,
“Even when I am old and gray, do not
Forsake me, O my God,
Till I declare your power to the next generation,
Your might to all who are to come.” Ps. 71,18.

A mailed postal reminds us the hurricane season is upon us and offers to trim trees that may need it so the danger from falling limbs would be lessened.

And that brings to mind St. Peter’s word:
“I think it right, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance” 2 Peter 1,13. So, after he was gone, they might be well versed in the teaching about Christ, their Savior.

And just there, I believe, is the reason the Lord has given me these extra years. Maybe I can speak a word that will throw some light on what now is dark for you. Or a word that strengthens you along the journey you are on and the work that you do. Or some words to comfort you during times of grief and worry.

Yes, there are things that interest me. How will the grandchildren fare? What will happen in this country. Will troubles in the world finally find a solution.

But above all, I know this, and the obit page reminds me again, “I know whom I have believed, and at the latter day I will see Him, for he has told me, 'I go to prepare a place for you, that where I am, you may be also'” John 14.

I believe Jesus died for me, and is my Savior. And so I am content.

GPD 6/16/11

No comments:

Post a Comment