Monday, June 20, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 6/20/11


Yesterday was Trinity Sunday, and most Lutheran Churches recited the Athanasian Creed to emphasize the three-in-one of the Godhead. It is on page 319 in the Lutheran Service Book. Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier, three in one, the Triune God of the Bible.

Yesterday was also Father’s Day. The day when people remember fathers, either as having been a blessing, or not.

Lucy is observing the day by telling Charlie Brown that her father has more credit cards than his, and can shoot better golf, and is a better bowler, and Charlie acknowledges all that. Then he interrupts her tirade. ”Wait a minute, don’t say any more. Just come with me, I want to show you something”. They stand in front of a barber shop and Charlie Brown says, “This is my Dad’s barber shop. He works in there all day long. He has to deal with all kinds of people. Some of them get kind of crabby. But you know what. I can go in here anytime and no matter how busy he is, he’ll always stop and give me a big smile. You know why? Because he likes me, that’s why”. So Lucy says, “Happy Father’s Day, Charlie Brown.”

Seems to me that pretty well describes the kind of Father I pray that you have. Maybe he didn’t pitch the winning game, or have a home run in High School championship game, or always have time for your games. But the Psalmist says, “I will set before my eyes no vile thing. The deeds of evil men I hate, they will not cling to me.” Psalm 101,3.

That kind of Father leads by example, is kind and caring with his always thoughtful advice, is helpful when you have something to work out, is there with wise counsel. A Father who leads you to faith in Jesus Christ, and explains why and how the wisdom of the Bible works in life today.

If such is your Father, then Happy Father’s Day, and be grateful.

GPD 6/20/11

No comments:

Post a Comment