Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Shade tree wisdom 3/28/12


          Another fine day, but I did not walk this morning again because the other day as I returned from the walk I managed somehow to turn my ankle. It brought some pain and did some swelling, so a friend took me to the nearby clinic for a checkup and an x-ray. Nothing broken, but the doctor did give me a sort of boot that allowed me to walk. Now the pain is pretty well gone and the swelling is down, so I rejoice.

          I rejoice more that when we went to the clinic we were in and out in under an hour. Amazing, that.

          It also sharpened the Lenten message of sin and salvation. The Confessional writings of our Church in its Smalcald Articles speaks about sin and repentance. It reminds us that the Bible teaches Law and Gospel.
          “The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men,” (Rom 1.18). And “The whole world may be accountable to God. . . no human being will be justified in His sight.” (Rom. 3, 19.20). And Christ said that the Holy Spirit will convict the world of sin. (John 16,8). This thunderbolt of the law, this hammer, as Jeremiah calls it, (Jer. 23,29), brings the sinner to his knees in repentance.

          The Season of Lent reminds us that the Law is always followed by the Gospel, the good news. For Christ Himself declares, “Repent, and believe in the Gospel.” Mark 1,15.

          The Law shows us what we are, but then the Word of the Gospel, shows us God’s grace and forgiveness.

          So we teach what Christ Himself commanded, “Repentance and forgiveness of sins should be declared in My name to all nations.” (Luke 24,47.)

          Again, I pray for you insight into this truth of Law and Gospel, for that is why Jesus died, so we could hear this good news that our debt of sin is fully paid.

GPD 3/28/12

No comments:

Post a Comment