Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 1/1/08

I do wish you a Happy New year. May it be filled with many blessings, a fine year for you and yours, one long to recall fondly and cherish in memory.

Beyond that, it’s the same old, same old. Walking this morning made me long for that Cossack- style fur hat I had in Detroit. It was warm, and I left it there. (Well, people told me it was warm on the gulf coast.)

Then, at 6:30 this morning, still dark, I met a FedEx truck. Inside light on, nearly empty of packages, sweeping around the corner as if he knew where he was going. Was he lost, merely running kind of late, or starting early. I didn’t ask, just waved, and he waved back with a grin.

I don’t know what the year has in store for you. But here’s a bit of advice from a New Testament writer whose name is James. “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways .“

The hymn sums it all up so:

“Jesus, lead Thou on, till our rest is won;
And although the way be cheerless, we will follow, calm and fearless.
Guide us by Thy hand, to our fatherland”. 718 v.1

May God richly bless your way in 2008, and be your guide.

GPD 1/1/08

No comments:

Post a Comment