Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 1/15/08

Brisk again, and that makes walking in the early morning a refreshing experience. Haven’t been doing it? I trust you get some moving around in other ways then. And it struck me, I sure missed a lot of things when I was growing up, but being active wasn’t one of them. We had chores to do, we walked to school, we played at recess time, we were expected to run errands, look after the growing garden, feed the chickens, clean the barn, help with the weekly wash. No time to sit at a computer for hours looking at a screen. We did not have computers, our generation invented them, as President Reagan used to say.

But I do not remember feeling deprived. I believe we simply lived life as it came our way. I do recall twice during my grade school days I served as a pall bearer for a schoolmate, one was a cousin. It was a confusing and solemn time. We had been playing on the school yard just last week. How could this be?

So the Undertaker gave us grey gloves to wear, and he told us in hushed tones when we were finished at the graveside we would throw the gloves on the casket. I do remember after each of the funerals, the mother came to us, tears glistening in her eyes, shook each of us by the hand, and thanked us for doing this for her little one. It touched us that she would take the time and remember to speak a word to us.

And after the funeral, back to school, where our teacher spoke about death, and what the Resurrection of Jesus Christ meant for us who believed in Him. The passage he quoted was from the raising of Lazarus. Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me will live, even though he dies, and whoever lives and believes in Me, will never die.” John ll,25.26.

I’m nearing the end of the walk. The yellow boxes are busy gathering their precious cargo, and I am ready to stop a bit and rest. May your day be rich with blessing.

GPD 1/15/08

No comments:

Post a Comment