Monday, February 11, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 2/11/08

Funny, isn’t it, how often little things make a difference or get noticed? I’m thinking of the deer skin moccasin slippers I use. Had them for years. They keep my feet warm even though they’re not much on looks. Ruth brought them along to the hospital because she said their floors were cold, and they often forgot slippers. So there they were, and each person who saw them remarked on how “cute" they were or some such. They just keep my feet warm and allow wiggle room.

But life is like that. It struck me Sunday when I came to church. Many people smiled and said, “good to see you”. Which is the right thing to say. Others insisted on telling me how their aunt Tillie had just the same thing and she . . . ad infinitum. Which is not the most fitting conversation with anyone who has been ill, is it?

It points to something in our day that bothers me. It’s the subtle shift to gray from what once was black and white, right and wrong. Oh, that sort of thing has been happening in every age. Isaiah lashed out at those “Who say what is right is wrong, and what is wrong is right, that black is white and white is black, bitter is sweet and sweet bitter’. Is. 5, 20.

St. Paul in his first letter to Corinth (14,7.8.) said words should be clear, like notes for a trumpet else “how shall they get ready for battle?"

Our God does not leave us. His Word to us is clear, direct, and filled with the guidance and the wisdom we need for the walk through life. Then we can face the next hours, and the next day knowing that “The Lord is my light and salvation, whom shall I fear?” Psalm 27,1.

So walk in His care who is our Shepherd, and bless the walk.

GPD 2/11/08

No comments:

Post a Comment