Monday, February 4, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 2/4/08

This is not quite a bit of wisdom, it’s rather a medical report.

Last Thursday I developed a chest pain, took an aspirin, and went to bed, but twisted and turned and couldn’t sleep because that pain remained. So finally I said to Ruth, “I think I’ll dial 911. I may be having a heart attack.” Here comes the parade. A fire engine with crew came in and asked questions, and hooked me to an oxygen tank. They were followed immediately by a unit from Medical unit. They placed me on a stretcher and took me to the emergency room of Hermann Hospital. On the way the medic was instructed to start an IV, and I watched him with the needle, the vehicle wasn’t all that steady, and I expected some painful, moments, but he got it in the first try. Amazing.

Overnight EKGs and other stuff, and in the morning they took me for a stress test which showed some blockage. So the doctor said they needed to place a stent into that section. I replied, after some speaking with family and some prayer, “If we can do it today, fine.” Silence until a little after 4. Suddenly the nurse came in and told us the doctor would do it next. So they took me to the unit where this is done, bustled about and got me ready, and shaved me where I've never been shaved before. They gave me a drug that made me sleepy but did not put me under. The doctor started around 4:30 and ended at a little after 7. The worst part of this procedure for me was lying on that hard table for 2 and a half hours. My hips became very sore, and I wanted to relieve them a bit by raising a leg, and the hand always held me down. So after he finished he said it had been a rather difficult procedure because of where it was, but it was a success. And he told me it was already showing, because my face had more color.

So to ICU for a day, then to a regular room on Saturday night, then released on Sunday afternoon. That was the thing that tested patience. In the morning I asked the nurse if she thought I would be released. She said, your signs are all really good, but it waits on the doctor. So the doctor standing in for the surgeon looked at charts and gave her consent. Hooray. No, the other doctor who substituted for the doctor who represented my doctor needed to OK it also. He finally arrived at around 4, then another half hour for the papers to be filled out, and I was sent home.

Experience. I know the Lord’s hand was in the whole process. The nurses and staff were pleasant, friendly, knew their stuff, saw to comfort and need. Though I did accuse the head nurse that they waited till I was asleep to send in the nurses to take vital signs, blood sugar tests, and blood samples. I said it with a twinkle in my eye and she replied, “Mr. Dobberfuhl, we have this little unit that watches when you fall asleep and then we send them in”. And she said it with a twinkle in her eye, so we parted on friendly terms.

Now, do what you feel like doing. Walk, eat, sleep, just don’t overdo, and report in two weeks. So far things are going well. And I am grateful for children who came, for the prayers you are even now speaking, and for God’s continual grace and ever present mercy.

GPD 2/4/08

No comments:

Post a Comment