Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 3/18/08

Tuesday in holy week 2008 already. For further Lenten reading I picked a book called The Hinge from the shelf. It is the story of 7 who stayed after the cross was empty, and the crowd was gone, and they are wondering what this all means. All are touched by the Spirit, and all see this happened for them.

That is always how it happens, isn’t it? One by one the Holy Spirit opens eyes and hearts to see Jesus as their Savior.

So you and I have come to faith. The Lord chose us, as He said, “You have not chosen Me, I have chosen you.” We admit this truth in the words of the hymn, “Nothing in my hands I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling”.

We get used to it. Another Lenten reading is a recent book by E C Peterson called “The Jesus Way”. In it he is talking about the Mt, Moriah incident where God asks Abraham to sacrifice his son. It is a test of Abraham’s faith. The faith that has been tested many times in the years since Abraham left Ur. Then he speaks of our faith, and here is the sentence I want to share. “It is both common and easy to develop a concept of faith in which God is pledged to give us whatever we want whenever we ask”.

Then he continues, “have we slipped into the habit of insisting that God do what we ask or want or need Him to do, treating him as an idol designed for our satisfaction?” Because faith involves trust. I might not always understand what is happening, but I trust that God does.

Holy week teaches me that again. I see before my eyes the price being paid, the price in blood and pain and suffering, and finally death, and then the glorious resurrection, all just as He promised, and all just as had been prophesied ages before. So I believe it when He tells me, “I am the Resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me will live, even though he dies.” John 11,25.

Satan knows his time is short, so he is very busy. But what God offers me is sure, paid for, sealed with His blood, and promised to those who believe. May this Holy week strengthen your faith and lengthen your steps along The Way, in Jesus name.

GPD 3/18/08

No comments:

Post a Comment