Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 3/25/08

What a fine morning for the walk. Moon is still up, air is calm and brisk, dogs are silent, birds are chirping, and all’s right with the world. (I haven’t seen the morning paper yet, you understand).

But we did celebrate Easter, and things are right on God’s schedule, so I am content. For the Psalm speaks a truth I cherish. It is “Your word, O Lord, is eternal. It stands firm in the heavens”. Psalm 119,89. There’s my standard, as it should be yours too.

A recent book tries to lay out rules for building trust in business relationships. The author tries to lay out some ways to do this, but he says there is one thing no one can teach anyone, that is integrity. Someone said character is what you are when no one is looking. The author Macauley said, the measure of a person's character is what he would do if he never would be found out.

David speaks much about this. “Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statues. I have more understanding than my elders, for I obey your precepts.” Ps. 119, 97-100.

Then comes that verse we all memorized in confirmation class.
“Your word is a lamp to my feet,
And a light for my path”. V.105.

The family was leaving the service after Easter worship. They are greeting the Pastor on their way out and the little boy asks – and you know how penetrating those voices are in such times – he asks, “Mom, is there Church every Sunday”? She assures him there was, “Then”, he asks”, why do we only go twice a year?”

We chuckle. But it strikes a deeper chord, doesn’t it? Christ is Risen, and we rejoice, because He lives, we too shall live. Now, how do we live our lives in the afterglow of Easter? That is a question each answers with their own life, isn’t it?

I pray blessings, rich blessings, on your daily days.

GPD 3/25/08

No comments:

Post a Comment