Thursday, March 27, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 3/27/08

The walking was just fine this morning, cool, crisp, just a slight movement of the air, and the moon was still bright. And the birds were starting to chirp here and there. What could be better than that? Well, the fact that I was able to get out and do that is something I am thankful for every morning, even though I wear a name tag with name, phone number etc. People tell me that’s a smart thing to do. You know, just in case.

I read that people who study such things tell us every person should walk 10,000 steps each day. This activity will make sure the body gets some exercise, instead of spending the time sitting at a desk with a computer or simply sitting in a chair watching TV.

So I found myself counting steps this morning just to see what 10,000 are like. Well, I reached 2,000 and stopped counting, but I never did reach 10,000. I suppose the person working around a house takes that many, or if a person is rather active at work, yes, but 10,000. Try it.

But it’s really not the number of steps we take, it’s being active. And that is the start. Take the first step, never mind the 10,000. Take the first step. You have probably even quoted that famous line, “a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”?

That’s the secret of successful living, isn’t it? Do what lies at hand to do, give it your best effort, and then go on to the next task.

A friend who did some running in college told me his coach always said to his teams, “Guys, never look back. When you do, you lose a step, and the next runner will beat you. Never look back, always keep your eye on the goal.”

Jesus sets the example, “He had his eye on getting to Jerusalem”. So live your life with that perspective, and the Lord will bless.

GPD 3/27/08

No comments:

Post a Comment