Monday, November 17, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 11/17/08

Who would ever have thought that I, born on a snowy night in a Wisconsin farmhouse, would ever one day be sitting in a place called The Woodlands, Texas on a bright and sunny day these many years later? The snow kept on falling, but the way, and had turned into a regular snow storm by Sunday when ‘they’ took me to Church for my baptism, to begin my journey as God’s child.

So, what thoughts come to mind on this Natal day? Well, are there are regrets, any ‘might have beens’, or things I might have done or planned differently, any corner not turned, or road not taken? Such thoughts do float around, and they could make life uncomfortable, but isn’t that what such a Psalm as number 51 is all about? David speaks of the results of his sin with Bathsheba. He calls for mercy “according to your great compassion, blot out my transgression”. V.1 He bases that plea on God’s compassion, and what we all need to admit, “I was sinful at birth”. V;5.

Yes, such thought may trouble, but “there is forgiveness with Thee, that Thou mayest be feared”. John teaches in his first letter, ”If we confess our sins, God is faithful and good to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all transgression”. 1,9.

I look at the world and its many pressing problems, the future seems murky and clouded with uncertainty. Our world has been changing, and the morality of mankind has really not kept pace with the technology. Just recently I read an article about how by some of these programs people slander or lie about others with no way of telling who did it? Totally anonymous. Horrible results. [If you want to make your fortune, devise a program that will sniff out such perpetrators].

Let me tell you a story as to why I am heartened no matter how it might seem. It happened one Sunday while we were living in Missouri and I had consented to help my neighboring Pastor by preaching in his church while he was on vacation. During the service in this little country church in my prayers I included this, “For the President and the congress of this country, for kings and all that are in authority.” After the service, one of the Elders approached with this question. “Pastor, you were praying for people in authority. Why do that, nobody pays attention to what may happen here.” So I opened my Bible to Proverbs 21,l and we read this together, “The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will."

I think often of such words. For example, “Hast thou not heard, the everlasting God. . .neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable.” Is. 40,28. Or this, “My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways.” Is. 55,8. So no matter how it looks, I know my God is there to save. So I am content.

GPD 11/17/08

No comments:

Post a Comment