Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Shade Tree Wisdom 11/4/08

Starbucks will hand a cup of coffee to any voter who stops in and asks today. I was out and about early this morning but did not stop in, because when I drove by the entire block was solid with SUVs and I reasoned I stood no chance at all.

Today voting is on people’s minds. Reports speak of ‘records’ being set etc. As if that were an achievement when it is really only, as Jesus said, “ye have done what it is your duty to do”. Sadly, many do not do their civic duty and then grouse over results they might not find to their liking.

Christians are praying what? That the vote might go “their way”, or that the will of god be done in this matter also?

I turned to Daniel, the man who had been taken into captivity to Babylon, landed as a King’s counselor, and lived his faith surrounded by heathen. Many of them terribly jealous and bitterly envious of Daniel and his position.

Chapter 9 gives us his prayer. He begins with “And I prayed to the Lord my God and made my confession´9,4. Then “We have sinned and have committed iniquity, done wickedly, departed from judgments.” Then v.16, “O Lord, according to all Thy righteousness, let thine anger and thy fury be turned away. . .”

And then I turn to Psalm 46, for example, which assures me “God is our Refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. “The Lord of Hosts is with us, the God of Jacob is our Refuge.”
And Psalm 8, “He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh.”

My friend, in all the noise and furor of these days, remember that. God is in heaven, He does whatever He wills. Let it ease our anxious hearts.

GPD 11/4/08

No comments:

Post a Comment