Monday, April 27, 2009

Shade Tree Wisdom 4/27/09

“Do you worry? Charlie Brown” asked Linus?

Charlie says, “Last Saturday we went to visit an uncle in the next town. I played with my cousins, we had dinner, and finally my aunt put them to bed. I fell asleep on the sofa. When it was time to go home my Father got me, put me on the back seat and we drove home, When we got home he carried me to my room and put me to bed. And I never worried, because my father was at the wheel”.

Isn’t that what our Lord Jesus is teaching us? He said, “Let not your heart be troubled, you believe in God, believe also I Me. John 14,1. For the same God who said “As long as the earth remains seedtime, and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter day and night, will not cease.”Gen 8,22, Is the Lord of all creation.

Certainly, there are things of concern. The Lord wants us to manage wisely, plan well, but when that is done, leave it in His hands. Let our watchword be that of the psalmist, “But as for me, I trust in you, O Lord: I say,” you are my God”. “My times are in your hand”. Psalm 31, 14.15.
This morning’s news speaks again of swine flu, and more and more people are getting ill from it. So much so that the US has declared a Public Health Emergency.

Then there are the ongoing problems of natural disasters, continuing wars and killings, dire news from nearly every corner of the globe. Not worry? I should smile.

I know you all hear the same news, live in the same world, care about these things too. So, let us together read again what Jesus teaches us about that. I am giving you the Message wording. 27 "Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? 28 All this time and money wasted on fashion—do you think it makes that much difference? Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, 29 but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them. 30 "If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? 31 What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. 32 People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. 33 Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. 34 "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. Matthew 6, 27 - 34.

Indeed, St. Paul says, “My God will supply all your need” and this promise, so rich and filled with comfort. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins according to the riches of God’s grace”. Eph. 1,7. Always reemember, My Father is at the wheel.
GPD 4/27/09

No comments:

Post a Comment