Thursday, April 30, 2009

Shade Tree wisdom 4/30/09

Murphy’s laws are observations that seem to come from experience. The one most of us think of is this ”If anything can go wrong, it will”. Another “You can’t do just one thing, everything has its consequences.”

In life, of course, we know all about that. We are nearing graduation and prom and party time. Every year we read of tragic accidents because someone was driving who should not have, or drank too much, and felt immune to accident. High School Counselors and parents do their warning and admonitions, often sadly, with little result.

In Texas we recently had days of rain, up to twenty inches in some areas. The result was rushing water, high water, stalled cars, drivers carelessly driving into high water and being swept away. We read of one swept into an overflow tunnel that did not have standard guards erected yet.

Choices have consequences – always.

What brings all this up is the new public art piece erected in The Woodlands. It is called “The Woodlands passage”. I look at it and can’t quite see the connection. I hesitate to tell you what I am reminded of when I look at it. And then I wonder, who is on the art committee that makes selections, and what makes them decide on this. I can understand the piece called “The Dreamer”, because I can see such a lad. Or the piece showing a lad standing on the shoulders of another, and seeing farther because of the past generation and what they did. Another piece supposing to depict the family is beyond me too.

Then I ask myself, does anyone on such a selection committee ever wonder whether “The King is no clothes on?” But then I am reminded of what the Catechism teaches me, “And put the best construction on everything.” And so let us do that.

But the lesson of all this is, Every action has a result, sometimes unintended. St. Paul teaches: “8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things. 9 The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things; and the God of peace shall be with you. “ Phil. 4, 8.9.
GPD 4/30.09

No comments:

Post a Comment