Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Shade Tree Wisdom 5/12/10

I’m getting better by the day, beat that bus again! But then, I am nearly a “Lovable Old Curmudgeon”, so don’t seem to need so much sleep, and find getting started in the morning, especially such a fine one, easier to do.

I learned something interesting the other day. And this news is on the positive side, so I just want to pass it on. Did you know that baby wards at major hospitals have volunteer rockers? They volunteer to rock babies for some time each day. Hospitals have found that babies who are held, warmed, rocked, and talked to get well sooner, grow better, are healthier, and do so much better than babies that get no such attention.

Hospitals are filled with marvelous machines, yet they find room for that old rocking chair.

Let’s talk about that old rocking chair. A song titled that by Bob Miller and sung by Hank Snow reads, in part:

Sitting alone in an old rockin’ chair,
I saw an old mother with silvery hair.
She seemed so neglected by those who should care
Rocking alone in an old rockin’ chair.

Her hands are all calloused and wrinkled and old,
A life full of hard work is a story they told.
And I’ve thought of angels as I saw her there,
Sitting alone in an old rockin’ chair.

I look at her and I think what a shame,
The ones who forgot her she loves just the same.
And I think of angels as I see her there,
Rocking lone in an old rockin’ chair.

And I thought of a favorite aunt of mine. She never learned to drive, and now lived alone since her husband was gone. But there were sons and daughters, and now grandchildren near by to take her anyplace she needed to go. Now she was all dressed, waiting to go to the Ladies Aid meeting at Church. She had belonged to that society for more than 50 years, had served in office, and had often prepared meals for people in need, sat with people while they grieved, even helped prepare several bodies for burial.

But her daughter was coming to take her to the meeting, and she was sitting in her favorite rocking chair, just waiting. And that’s where her daughter found her, quietly sitting in her rocking chair, her hand clutching her purse, with a smile on her face.

It was there, in that chair, sitting alone, that the Lord came and said, “Your days that are written before you were born are now done.” So He took her home, and while the children and family grieved, still they rejoiced that she was a baptized child of God.

I pray such for each of us.

GPD 5/12/10

No comments:

Post a Comment