Friday, May 28, 2010

Shade Tree Wisdom 5/28/10

Still in May, and already the thermometer reaches high 90’s. The paper adds to the misery by announcing that it looks like a very busy hurricane season, since the part of the Atlantic where hurricanes form is already quite warm. However the scientific community is not ready to commit completely. So the prudent Gulf coast makes preparation for possible winds and high water.

The Christian, however, looks elsewhere first, doesn’t he?

This is what the Child of God sees, and trusts.

“The heavens declare the glory of God,
And the firmament showeth His handiwork.
Day unto day uttereth speech,
And night unto night showeth knowledge.
There is no speech, or language,
Where their voice is not heard”.
Psalm 19, 1.2.3.
It comforts the anxious person, this knowing who is really there always. When our youngest daughter received her first assignment to teach for the Department of Defense overseas, it was to a bit of an island in the east China Sea. Okinawa was her first destination, teaching for Air Force children stationed on that distant rock. We were in the Federal building in Memphis where she finished her paper work. On the wall was a large world map, and I finally spotted the bit of island and said, “There?”

So she quoted this to me:

“Where shall I go from thy spirit,
And where shall I flee from thy presence?
If I ascend up to heaven, Thou art there,
If I make my bed in hell, behold, Thou art there.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell
In the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me,
Thy right hand hold me up.. . .
The darkness and light are both alike to Thee”.
Psalm 139, 7-12.

And it gave peace to our worried selves.

So, when storm predictions come, when the world seems to be running amuck, when things seem out of control, do remember that God is there, just as He promised.

GPD 5/28/10

No comments:

Post a Comment