Friday, July 2, 2010

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/2/10

No, I didn’t go for my usual morning walk this morning. It was raining, and I no longer enjoy walking in the rain. One tends to get wet! The last time I remember doing so and enjoying it was when I was still at home and had been on the ‘back 40’ cultivating a field of corn. I had just finished when it began to rain, you know, one of those slow, gentle warm midsummer Wisconsin rains. So, since I was some distance from the home, I got down and walked along with the team enjoying the much-needed summer rain.

The news says we lucked out with Hurricane Alex as far as damage is concerned. It has probably blown itself out in the mountains of Northern Mexico. Our area got rain, lots of rain, but here in The Woodlands it was mostly a much needed moisture for early summer. They say they hope July 4th will be dry so tourists will come to the island in large numbers since much of their business happens during such holidays.

In my reading I came across a paragraph about “Hail To The Chief”. It told how it was to be used as an announcement when the president appears at any function. This source says it was first used for that purpose, that is, to announce the entering of the President, for President James Polk. Since he was small of stature and rather homely, he was often overlooked when he entered a room. This infuriated his wife, Lucy, who ordered that song to be played whenever he arrived. To that was added a flourish of drums to open a pathway for him.

True or not, today it has become custom so to use it. The music was first set to the epic Poem by Sir Walter Scott, “The Lady of the Lake”, which really described the demise of a Scottish Chieftain betrayed and killed by his arch enemy, King James V.

At any rate, I remember that my Lord Jesus entered a city riding a donkey, “Shout daughter of Jerusalem, see, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle, and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey”. Zechariah 9,9. That prophecy of Zechariah was fulfilled as St. Matthew reports in chapter 21, 1 – 5. And it led then to the cross, then the Resurrection. That story says to me that my sins are now fully paid for, I have been declared righteous by God. And for that, I am grateful and thankful. Because that is God’s free gift to His Baptized children.

GPD 7/2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment