Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/27/10


It was gloomy this morning, really dark yet, and when I began my morning walk, I ended it at the end of the driveway because it was just starting to drizzle a bit, and my days of enjoying a walk in the rain are well behind me. So I picked up the paper, and went back home.

So, now as I write this, the sun is looking out and sees a world of green, nice breeze, it strikes me as being a place at peace. Well, this corner of it is, but then I look at the daily news and it speaks of wars and deaths and murders, and crashes and mayhem and disaster. Enough bad stuff to cause worry.

And there are indeed people who worry, often needlessly, endlessly, and for no reason except they need to have something to worry about.

Are you among them, folks who walk gingerly through life thinking “what if”, or “Maybe, maybe not”, or “If this, then that”. Like Uncle Otto. He used to wear both a belt and suspenders, just “In case”. Is that you?

Then I have advice for you, to encourage you and bring some measure of ease to your worried life. It comes from God’s precious Book. It says, “Trust in the Lord, and do good, and verily thou shalt be fed.” Psalm 37,3. And one more, this from the Proverbs: “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In ALL thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall bring it to pass. Be not wise in thine own eyes; fear the Lord, and depart from evil.” Prov. 3, 5-7.

Jesus spoke of sowing the seed, and warned that “The cares of this life” often choked it and kept it from bearing fruit.

And that is how the devil does his work. He chokes, he manipulates, he spreads such thought to cause worry and care, and more, that we forget the rich and sure promises of our blessed God, Who “loved me, and gave Himself for me, that I might be saved”.

GPD 7/27/10

No comments:

Post a Comment