Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/6/10

Here’s an insightful observation, one that understands how human nature works. It runs like this – it kept coming to mind and I did not remember who wrote it, so I asked Google and they said, “anon”.

Well, here’s the thought in verse:

"As a rule, a man’s a fool.
When it’s hot, he wants it cool,
When it’s cool, he wants it hot,
Always wanting what is not”.
So the report said Apple sold 1.7 million of their new iPhone 4’s in three days, and then discovered it had a glitch. Now, I am assuming the company tested and re-tested that phone before they put it for sale, still there was a glitch. Maybe easily fixed, maybe not, but disappointing.

But let me hazard a guess that all of those l.7 million who even stood in line, some overnight, to get their new phones already owned a perfectly good phone.

We are like that. All of us have stored stuff we replaced because something new came along, not exactly better, but the new trend this season, so “I’ve just got to have it”.

Content. To be content means to be satisfied, entirely satisfied, with that lies before me.

When Joshua had his farewell speech, he reminded the people, “I am going the way of all the earth; you know in your hearts and in your souls that not one thing has failed which the Lord your God has spoken to you, all are come to pass, NOT ONE THING HAS FAILED”. Joshua 23,14.

Joshua is an old man, and he tends to remember, and what he remembers fondly is that God is faithful to do exactly what He promised. Maybe he sees the waters of the Jordan pile up so they can cross the river on dry land, or sees the walls of Jericho falling, or all the other victories through the years. Not one promise failed. He suggests that is a record to trust.

St. Paul, in looking back over his life, writes to the Philippians, (4,11) “I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content”. He goes on, “I know what it is to be in need, and what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength” vv. 12-13.

That is why Paul also tells us to set our minds in Christ, who died for us to give us eternal life. That is a fine thing to remember, “I can do all things through Christ, Who strengthens me.” That really is the secret of it all, a contented life.

GPD 7/6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment